SEM National Honor Society 2013-2014
Pillars of the National Honor Society – Service, Leadership, Character, and Scholarship
Mr. Samford – NHS Sponsor
Ms. Dove – NHS Sponsor
- President – Davis Chhoa
- Vice President – Cameron Rose
- Treasurer – Corbin Ray
- Secretary – Artavia Price
- Historian – Vanessa Ibarra
|Class of 2016 Sophomore Members (31)
Enrique De Alba
Harrison Feldman Connor Fritz
|Class of 2015 Junior Members (23)
Miguel Del Rio
Murali Subramanian Quinn Torres
Quang Minh Tran
|Class of 2014 Senior Members (26)
Saul Dela Garza
Danh Nguyen Thao Nguyen
To be invited to apply for the NHS, students must
- have at least a cumulative GPA of 90.00
- be an upcoming sophomore, junior, or senior (upcoming freshman aren’t eligible to apply for the NHS)
- have excellent leadership skills
- be involved in extracurricular activities
- be actively involved in community service and giving back to the community
Applications are given out by the NHS sponsors at end of the spring semester or at the beginning of the fall semester. Students must complete the application and turn it in prior to the deadline to be considered for acceptance.
The NHS Induction Ceremony for accepted members is held in October or November of each school year.
To remain in good standing as an SEM NHS member, students must
- maintain a cumulative GPA of 90.00
- turn in a copy of each six weeks report card to an NHS sponsor or officer each six weeks
- attend ALL NHS meetings throughout the school year
- earn a total of 24 community service hours by the end of the school year
- pay membership dues ($10 for new members, $5 for returning members)
Senior NHS members will receive an NHS stole to wear at graduation if they fulfill the requirements of being in good standing.
The SEM NHS focuses on imbuing character, scholarship, leadership, and service to all of its members. This year (2013-14), the NHS officers have been focusing on revamping the SEM NHS. During each NHS meeting, the officers have been discussing topics related to improving the opportunities and knowledge of underclassmen in regards to applying to summer internships and programs, resume building, scholarships, standardized testing, college application process, and financial aid. We hope that the NHS sophomore and junior members will take advantage of the knowledge the NHS officers are passing down as seniors.
Pay It Forward Challenge.
The SEM NHS also has an annual community service project that is required to be participated in by all members of the NHS. This year’s community service project is the Pay It Forward Challenge.
Spring 2014 SEM NHS Events
NHS Meeting – Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 4:15 PM in Ms. Dove’s Room
- Officer candidate elections and voting for 2014-2015 NHS
- Only current juniors will be eligible; all candidates will be asked to answer a few questions in front of their peers as well as give a short speech. Voting will take place at the end of the meeting.
The Pay It Forward Challenge Presentation – Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 4:30-6:30 PM in the Commons
- All NHS members will present their Pay It Forward Challenge community service project
- Parents, students, and teachers are invited to attend to see the amazing projects the NHS members have been working on in a collaborative effort to improve the community
NHS Meeting – Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 4:15 PM in Ms. Dove’s Room
- Officers for 2014-2015 NHS will be announced
- Final chance to turn in required volunteer hours to maintain NHS membership
- Concluding meeting for NHS of the 2013-2014 school year
Please congratulate the new National Honor Society officers for 2014-15:
- President: Daniel Weiser
- Vice President: Jose Ayala
- Secretary: Samantha Singer
- Treasurer: Alexandre Goberna-Moron
- Historian: Andres Munoz
Official voting took place at the March 2014 NHS meeting and results were announced at the “Pay It Forward” presentations in the commons. Look for more information on the Pay It Forward Project on the SEM web page coming soon.
Sponsors: Glenn Samford and Deanna Dove
QuestBridge - National College Match | College Prep Scholarship - Contact Davis Chhoa <firstname.lastname@example.org> for more information about the QuestBridge College Prep Scholarship or the QuestBridge National College Match Program. He is personally a QuestBridge National College Match Recipient to Stanford University, so is very familiar with the entire process.
What can you do online?